Civil Peace Service Expert (m/f/d) in transitional justice for survivors of ISIL crimes in Dohuk, Iraq
GIZ Development Service is looking for a Civil Peace Service Expert (m/f/d) in transitional justice for survivors of ISIL crimes in Dohuk, Iraq.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Civil Peace Service (CPS) is a global programme for the prevention of violence and peacebuilding in conflict regions. Advisors support local partners in their long-term commitment to dialogue, human rights, and peace. In Iraq, approaches of dealing with the past, psychosocial support and dialogue processes are combined to work on the serious crimes committed by the Islamic State (ISIL) since 2017. The „Commission for Investigation and Gathering Evidence“ (CIGE) is one of the leading institutions in the field of documentation and investigations.
- Analysing the services CIGE offers to survivors and families of victims and concluding advisory to the leading judge. These services are based on international legal standards and psychosocial support mechanisms in order to strengthen the participation of survivors in transitional justice processes
- Supporting CIGE’s cooperation and networking activities with international, governmental, and civil society organisations as well as justice actors, structuring it further and expanding CIGE’s current network
- Further developing a concept for CIGE’s outreach, including communication with survivors, partners as well as the broader Iraqi and international public
- Conducting a capacity needs assessment of the staff of CIGE and other relevant partners and seeking convenient solutions, including the improvement of staff care (possibly in cooperation with other CPS advisors)
- Advising other relevant partner organisations of CPS in Iraq and contributing to the outcome and achievements of the whole programme
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international law or political sciences or similar subjects followed by a related professional experience in the field of international law
- Substantial experience in the delivery of legal and/or psychosocial services for victims of general or gender-based violence as well as serious human rights violations
- Capacities in the facilitation of organisational change processes and knowledge in participatory methods
- Profound understanding of modern techniques of public relations
- Work-related experience abroad, ideally in West Asia, as well as knowledge of the history, culture, and political situation of Iraq
- Creativity, especially in developing concepts
- Team orientation, patience and resilience
- Fluency in English; working knowledge in Arabic, Kurdish, or German is an asset
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Iraq.
The security situation is critically tense. It requires continuous monitoring and special security risk mitigation measures for GIZ staff. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is severely restricted. It is not possible for life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.