Country Director (m/f/d) in Amman, Jordan
forumZFD is seeking a full-time Country Director for its programme in Jordan to be responsible for the program office in Amman.
Who we are
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as eleven other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy. forumZFD is recognised by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
As a Country Director working for forumZFD, you will have the opportunity to contribute your experience and skills within the innovative field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding throughout the region. You will be heading a well-established international and local team supporting local partner organizations and initiatives operating within different communities across Jordan through intensive fieldwork and technical advice.
As the position is based on the German Development Aid Workers Act (EhfG), it is restricted to citizens of the EU. The position is remunerated according to the provisions of this law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. Within this framework, we offer an attractive positionwith responsibilities for a minimum of two to three years (with the option of extension) in a growing organization. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, and regular coaching.
Your tasks and responsibilities
As Country Director you will be responsible for leading a team of 7 colleagues in the program office located in Amman. As a member of the Country Management Team (consisting of the Head of Program and the Country Director) you will also contribute to the further conceptual and strategic development of the program and its implementation in Jordan. Tasks related to finance management, public relations, and other overriding duties are additionally carried out with the Head of Program and respective operational departments of forumZFD.
Some of the central tasks and responsibilities of this position are:
- Managing the Amman Office:
- Ensuring professional operational management of the office related to finance management, legal registration and the fulfilment of legal requirements, office administration, reporting to Regional and Head Offices and other technical requirements;
- Managing human resources of experienced staff related to individual staff guidance, maintaining team cohesion, and managing team and individual staff capacities;
- Ensuring the fulfillment of internal forumZFD security requirements and policies for office staff;
- Maintaining and further developing the quality of project activities and established cooperation with local actors in the working fields of peace and conflict transformation in Jordan;
- Safeguarding the quality of the program’s operational processes in line with internal standards of forumZFD and supporting the impact-oriented implementation of the various programme components in line with internal PM&E standards of forumZFD;
- Externally representing the Jordan Program within the country, in the region, and in Germany (including support for the communication and public relations activities of forumZFD);
- Supporting staff in the acquisition of financial means together with cooperation partners.
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, conflict transformation, peacebuilding, international development or other relevant fields;
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in project and/or program management in the fields of conflict transformation and/or development cooperation;
- Profound knowledge of the social, political and economic situation in Jordan, as well as interrelated regional contexts that are relevant for peace work in Jordan;
- Work experience or in-depth knowledge of fields related to conflict transformation, e.g. Dealing with the Past, Community Mobilising, Peace Education, etc.
- Management experience in the areas of programme strategy development, staff development and management, project planning and reporting, administration, and financial controlling;
- Experience in the management of projects and/or programs involving work with civil society at different levels including cooperating with (civil society) initiatives, associations, non-governmental organisations, as well as with national and international institutions;
- Proven knowledge and ability to advise on methods and concepts of non-violent conflict transformation;
- Strong leadership, advisory, and interpersonal skills (particularly for managing people), including non-violent communication competencies and intercultural sensitivity;
- Excellent written and spoken command of English (official working language of the programme); knowledge of local languages is highly desirable;
- Experience with use of social media, websites, and other online-based working platforms (particularly for facilitating collaborative work in virtual team settings);
- Willingness to frequent travels in the country, region, and internationally; holds a valid driver’s license and a willingness to drive.
Start of assignment
Ideally, you are available to start working in December 2022 (preparation courses, followed by at least two years’ work within the project with the option of extension).
Please apply online in English on this page (https://www.forumzfd.de/en/jobs) with a letter of motivation, CV and relevant references latest by November 13th, 2022.
A selection process is planned to be scheduled for End of November 2022. If you have any questions about the position or process, please do not hesitate to contactMr. Alexander Mauz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The work in Jordan by forumZFD is described in more detail at www.forumZFD.de/en/jordan.