International Peace Worker (m/f/d) based in Siem Reap/ Cambodia
For our CPS-programme “Working with change agents, dealing with the consequences of violence and networking for social transformation” together with our partner organisations from the Myanmar programme we are looking for an International Peace Worker (m/f/d) based in Siem Reap/ Cambodia.
Fields of Work:
As an international peace worker, you are responsible for accompanying KURVE Wustrow's partner organisations from the Myanmar programme in questions of mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS). Additionally, you will support network building with similar organisations, mainly from the Sri Lanka programme. You will be based in Cambodia (where KURVE Wustrow starts to establish a regional networking component), with frequent travels (potentially) to Myanmar, to Thailand as well as to Sri Lanka and maybe other countries in the region.
- Identification of MHPSS related needs of partner organisations;
- Development of strategies for the systemic inclusion of MHPSS aspects into organisational structures and project work as well as support during implementation;
- Development of materials and tailored activities on MHPSS for staff of partner organisations and their target groups (including teachers, activists, students, young people, children, women, civil society organisations, members of minority groups);
- Consultancy, trainings and trainings of trainers for partners in the field of MHPSS and trauma sensitivity in project work;
- Sensitisation, training and consultancy of CPS country teams in project work related to psychosocial well-being and trauma sensitivity;
- Promoting regional, cross-country exchange and reflection spaces between CPS partner organisations;
- Exchange and networking with other national and international organisations in the field of MHPSS;
- Establishment of a knowledge management system on MHPSS for the Myanmar and Sri Lanka country programmes;
- Communication with and contracting of external consultants who can be called in to cover specific MHPSS topics in some cases or to cover additional security and risk management needs;
- Support of internal processes on MHPSS such as programme development (if requested);
- Ensuring a proper and adequate application of funds and reporting as well as regular communication with the CPS coordinators and KURVE Wustrow in Germany;
- Contribution to ongoing conflict and security analyses related to the CPS work and close cooperation with other CPS-workers in the region;
- Contribution to public relations and networking activities in Germany (if necessary).
- Psychologist, psychotherapist, educator/pedagogue, social or peace worker or comparable background with a track record of work experience in the field of MHPSS;
- Sound knowledge of and experience with different methods in the psychosocial support of persons who have experienced/ are experiencing violence and/ or are working under repressive conditions, including the willingness to learn about and develop locally suitable MHPSS approaches;
- Sound knowledge of and experience in the field of peacebuilding and civil conflict transformation;
- Experience as a trainer and consultant for civil society organisations from the “Global South”;
- Competence in gender-conscious and non-discriminatory working methods;
- High willingness to learn and to react flexibly to the structures, needs and concerns of different partner organisations;
- Experience in working with intercultural teams, preferably in Southeast and/or South Asia;
- Regional knowledge and work experience in Southeast and/or South Asia are an advantage;
- General counselling and mediation skills, application of participatory methods in an intercultural context;
- Commitment, high frustration tolerance and the ability to deal with conflicts;
- Very good knowledge of English; knowledge of Burmese, Tamil and/or Sinhala is an advantage; willingness to learn at least one national language;
- Knowledge of and experience with working on MHPSS as part of a broader Holistic Security approach, as well as (basis) knowledge of and experience with other aspects of Holistic Security like digital security or security and risk management (SRM) is an advantage;
- Willingness to work constructively in a small regional team of CPS professionals;
- Willingness to work partly online with partners and team members in different locations as well as to travel within the region.
The Centre for Training and Networking in Nonviolent Action – KURVE Wustrow was founded in 1980 with the aim of turning concerns about violent conflict, environmental degradation and social injustice into conscious nonviolent action.
KURVE Wustrow conducts trainings, workshops and events in the field of civil, nonviolent conflict transformation at home and abroad. We send International Peace Workers as part of the “Civil Peace Service” (CPS) to selected crisis regions. For this purpose, KURVE Wustrow is closely cooperating with partner organisations in the Western Balkans, in the Middle East, Ukraine, Sudan and in South and Southeast Asia. Further focal points of our work include our commitment to climate and resource protection and against nuclear energy.
We particularly invite people to apply who are structurally discriminated on different levels.
We offer a contract in accordance with the German law for development aid workers (only for EU-citizens) or a contract in alignment with the German law for development aid workers for citizens from other countries until 31 December 2026, including a three months preparation period in Germany expected to commence on 01 February 2024.
The conditions of the German law for development aid workers precludes the application and deployment of citizens of the deployment countries.
For your application (in English) please use our ONLINE-application form by using the following code Cambodia_IPW_Holistic Security until 12 November 2023.
The job interview will take place in Wustrow (Wendland, Lower Saxony, Germany) on 29 November 2023 (or possibly online).