Project Officer in Battambang, Cambodia
forumZFD is looking for a Project Officer in Battambang starting 1st June, 2023.
forumZFD supports people involved in conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as ten other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy. forumZFD is recognised by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
Down to the present day, there has been no systematic dealing with the recent (especially Khmer Rouge) history in Cambodia. In addition, the public discourse on the past rarely includes the experiences and perceptions of ethnic and religious minority groups. The inadequate knowledge and learning from the past in combination with scarce capacities of non-violent conflict transformation bears a risk of increasing tension, mistrust and division between different communities of Cambodian society.
With its team of Cambodian and international staff, forumZFD has started capacity development activities with selected members of the Khmer majority and different minority groups. The aim is that by providing capacities in non-violent conflict transformation, mutual trust, understanding and respect will be built between different communities in Battambang that will contribute to a more inclusive and peaceful Cambodian society as a whole. One important group we cooperate with is the youth.
We offer an attractive position with responsibilities for a minimum of two years (with the option of extension) in a growing organization. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, regular coaching and, where appropriate, participation in a language course. The position is based on the German Development Aid Workers Act (EhfG) and will be remunerated according to the provisions of this law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. Working for forumZFD, you will be engaged within the innovative field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding through contributing your ideas and skills.
Your tasks and responsibilities
As a Project Officer you will work under the supervision of the Project Manager in our Battambang office and in close cooperation with a team of international and national colleagues. You will support the design and implementation of project activities focusing on capacity development in conflict transformation for different groups and institutions (e.g. youth, minority groups, educational institutions) in Battambang province and possibly neighbouring provinces.
In detail, your tasks and duties will include
- Support of implementation, planning and facilitation of forumZFD's capacity development work in the field of peace education and conflict transformation (workshops, trainings, dialogue programs), together with the existing project team in Battambang and in close cooperation with partner organisations and institutions
- Supporting our internal monitoring, evaluation, and reporting systems
- Reporting and documentation of experiences and „lessons learned” out of activities and projects, for internal documentation and evaluation
- Frequent visits to local partners to consult the implementation of the project activities
- Supporting the structures and networks to ensure the sustainability of the project
- Supporting the administrative and financial management of activities
- Completed vocational training and/or university degree in peace and conflict studies, social science, political science, regional studies Southeast Asia, psychology, or similar
- Qualification in methods of nonviolent/civil conflict transformation, working with different actors (especially youth and/or educational institutions) and experience in designing and conducting trainings in the wider field of conflict transformation and peace building is desirable
- Work experience acquired abroad in the Civil Peace Service and/or development cooperation, if possible in Southeast Asia
- Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitating dialogue processes
- Experience in project management
- Social Media and digitalisation skills are an asset
- Intercultural skills to work and live in the Southeast Asian context, ability to respond flexibly to changes in the work environment
- Good relationship management and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders
- Fluency in English (project language), both spoken and written
- Willingness to learn the local language (Khmer)
- Sound knowledge of computer applications
- Driver's license and driving experience are an asset
Start of your assignment
by 1st of June, 2023 or later including the preparation period in Germany and the induction phase on location. The contract is offered for at least two years with the further option of extension.
Please send your application (letter of motivation, CV and contact details of 2-3 reference persons) to https://www.forumzfd.de/en/jobs latest by 5th of March, 2023.
A selection process (online assessment) is scheduled for the week of March 27 to 31, 2023. In case of any questions, please feel free to contact Mr. Sven Reuter at reuter@forumZFD.de.
Please find further information about the organization and its assignments online at www.forumZFD.de.