Country Director (m/f/d) for forumZFD programme in the Philippines
forumZFD is lookin for a Country Director (m/f/d) for its programme in the Philippines, Davao, Philippines
Start of assignment
Ideally, you are available to start working on January 15, 2024 (preparation phase, followed by at least two years’ work within the project with the option of extension).
Who we are
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as eleven other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy.
forumZFD is recognized by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
The island of Mindanao in the Philippines is the theatre of various, intersecting, violent conflicts. One is the conflict between the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), a group seeking self-determination for the Muslim inhabitants of Mindanao and the Philippine Government. At present, a peace agreement between the MILF and the Government is being implemented. Another is the decades-long communist insurgency of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front of the Philippines (CPP-NPA-NDFP), which seeks to transform Philippine society and overthrow the government. Both these major political conflicts intersect with more localized violent conflicts stemming from natural resource extraction, clan feuds, land disputes, among others, shaping the conditions on Mindanao.
Collaborating with local key actors, the forumZFD aims at contributing to a constructive dialogue between the representatives of very different interests and agenda in the Philippines. Pivotal to this commitment is support for the peace process between the MILF and the Philippine Government, the transformation of resource conflicts, and advocating for the resumption of the formal peace negotiations between the CPP-NPA-NDFP and the Philippines Government.
Your task and responsibilities
As director of forumZFD’s programme in the Philippines you will report to the Department of Projects and Programmes via the Head of Programmes. You will be responsible for the implementation as well as the financial viability and the ongoing conceptual development of this programme in close coordination with the Programme team. The financial management, project-related public relations activities and other duties will be carried out in close cooperation with the operational departments of forumZFD.
- Managing and guiding the current projects of forumZFD at 3 project locations in Mindanao with up to 20 staff members (personnel guidance and development, financial management, programme planning); providing direct supervisory management to 8-9 members of staff
- Further development of the programme in the Philippines within the framework determined by the relevant organisational strategic markers;
- Safeguarding the quality of the programme’s operational processes in line with the internal standards of forumZFD and supporting the impact-oriented implementation of the various programme components by meeting forumZFD’s internal PME standards;
- Operational management of the programme office in Davao: administration, financial management, personnel guidance, technical requirements;
- Ensuring the application of forumZFD’s security requirements for staff in the programme;
- Support for the political work and public relations activities of forumZFD on location and in Germany;
- External representation of forumZFD’s programme and expansion of organisation’s network on a local and national level;
- Acquisition of financial means – together with cooperation partners, if feasible.
- University degree (social sciences, political sciences, ethnology or related studies);
- five years’ experience in development and/or peacebuilding work (e.g. Civil Peace Service) in crisis/conflict impacted regions; desirable is a profound knowledge of the political situation in the Philippines and work experience in South East Asia;
- experience in Advocacy work is an asset;
- qualifications as an expert advisor in the methods of non-violent conflict transformation and in the field of advocacy;
- significant experience in working in inter-cultural contexts including working with local civil society and local government structures, experience of engagement with local security apparatus
- profound management and advisory experience in the areas of personnel guidance, project planning, administration and financial controlling in a complex social environment;
- working experience in institutional fundraising is an asset;
- high social competencies, flexibility and ability to work in a team;
- patience, high tolerance towards situations of ambiguity;
- strong communication skills, which can be applied across a variety of structures within an inter-cultural context;
- prepared for living in a tropical climate and strong ability to work under physical and psychological pressure;
- fluent command of verbal and written English (the official programme language);
- high confidence in using IT tools and online-based working platforms;
- willingness to travel frequently domestically and adjust to flexible working hours;
- experience relating to Safety&Security Risk Management (SSRM), willingness to travel partly through areas in which security protocols have to be observed due to security risks, is expected.
- This role is an international contract and so is open to non-Filipino nationals only.
As a Country Director working for forumZFD, you will have the opportunity to apply your managerial and technical skills which enable the professional work of our teams within this innovative, dynamic, and inspiring field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding in the Philippines.
We offer an attractive positionwith responsibilities for a minimum of two years in a growing organisation. Ideally, you are available to start working on 15th of January 2024 (preparation courses, followed by at least two years’ work within the project with the option of extension).
The position is remunerated according to the provisions of the German Development Workers law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, regular coaching and, where appropriate, participation in a relevant language course.
Please apply in English online at www.forumzfd.de/jobs/ (letter of motivation, CV, contact details of two to three reference persons) latest by October 20, 2023.
The selection process is planned to take place on November 8 and 10, either in Cologne (Germany) or online. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for selection process. If you have any questions on the selection process, please do not hesitate to contact Ms Lara Lang(firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you have questions related to the position, please feel free to contact Mr Sven Reuter (email@example.com)
Please find further information about our organization and our assignments online at www.forumZFD.de
This job advertisement as well as further employment postings can be viewed at www.forumZFD.de/jobs
We are looking forward to your application!