International Peace Worker (m/f/d) in based in Uzhhorod (Ужгород)/ Ukraine
For our CPS-project Empowerment of Civil Society for Nonviolent Conflict Transformation with State Actors we are looking for an International Peace Worker (m/f/d)in based in Uzhhorod (Ужгород)/ Ukraine with our partner organization Platform for Nonviolent Activism.
Platform for Nonviolent Activism gathers three Ukrainian NGOs whose activities aim at strengthening the civil society, promoting human rights, democratic changes and the rule of law in Ukraine. The Platform for Nonviolent Activism consists of: ‘Association of Middle East Studies (AMES)’, Kyiv; Theatre for Change, Kyiv; Network for Responsible people, Kyiv. The Platform provides legal counseling and assistance, psycho-social support, conducts capacity building, community-based civil society development, and advocates for changes in the Ukrainian legislation.
Fields of work:
As an integrated International Peace Worker, you will support the Platform in documenting, developing and disseminating constructive models of nonviolent conflict transformation between civil society actors and governmental structures in Ukraine. You will support existing trainings for the civil society development, educational opportunities and individual advice on strategic and tactical aspects in order to be able to conduct successful negotiations in conflicts within the society.
- Planning, implementing and monitoring the CPS project in close cooperation with local peace workers of the Platform
- Supporting the development of concepts and projects [seminars and trainings] for nonviolent activism and nonviolent conflict transformation, particularly regarding state-citizen relations.
- Supporting the Platform for Nonviolent Activism in the field of project management, communication, trainings planning, seminars and others
- If possible jointly conducting seminars
- Supporting production of media content and distribution of Platform`s contents
- Integrating into Platform for Nonviolent Activism team and, if required, contributing to organizational development, while adjusting to the partner organization’s work culture
- Contribution to public relation and networking activities of the Platform for Nonviolent Activism and KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- If necessary budget planning and monitoring, ensuring a proper and adequate application of funds, regular communication with the CPS regional coordinator and KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- Close cooperation with the country coordinator on ongoing conflict analysis and security situation
- Focus on work with young people and youth centres
- University or a similar degree in Peace and Conflict Studies, East European History, Political Science, Slavic Studies, Sociology, Ukrainian Studies, International Relations, or another relevant field. Ideally with a focus on Eastern Europe/ Area Studies
- Advanced training in the field of civil nonviolent conflict transformation
- Sound knowledge and experience in the field of civil, nonviolent conflict transformation as well as experience with social movements, ideally from a working context in Ukraine or a comparable context
- Practical work experience in cooperation with NGOs, in intercultural teams and/or abroad, ideally from a working context in Ukraine or a comparable context
- Proven comprehensive experience in project management activities
- Knowledge of Ukrainian civil society environment and work experience in Ukraine would be a very strong asset
- Willingness to work and live in Uzhhorod in Ukraine (If security situation allows and with regular travel to other Central Ukraine`s regions under the same condition)
- Intercultural competence and ability to work independently as well as in a dynamic local horizontal team
- Ability to reflect about one’s own role, regarding specific institutional context and willingness to learn
- Professional command of English and sound knowledge of Ukrainian or comparable language. German language skills would be an asset
The Centre for Training and Networking in Nonviolent Action – KURVE Wustrow was founded in 1980 with the aim of turning concerns about violent conflict, environmental degradation and social injustice into conscious nonviolent action.
KURVE Wustrow conducts trainings, workshops and events in the field of civil, nonviolent conflict transformation at home and abroad. We send International Peace Workers as part of the “Civil Peace Service” (CPS) to selected conflict regions. For this purpose, KURVE Wustrow is closely cooperating with partner organisations in the Western Balkans, in the Middle East, Ukraine, Sudan and in South and Southeast Asia. Further focal points of our work include our commitment to climate and resource protection and against nuclear energy.
We particularly welcome applications of persons who suffer from structural discrimination on various levels.
Contractual conditions: We offer a contract in accordance with the German law for development aid workers until 31 December 2025 (with the possible extension under the condition that the project will be prolonged by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development), including a three months preparation period in Germany expected to commence on the 1February 2024.
The conditions of the German law for development aid workers precludes the application and deployment of citizens of the deployment country.
Application procedure: Please use our ONLINE-application form by using the following code Ukraine_IPW_Platform until 06 November 2023.
Please notice: The job interview will take place in Wustrow (Wendland, Lower Saxony, Germany) on 22November 2023.