Project Officer for Media and Peacebuilding in Davao, Philippines (m/f/d)
We are looking for a Project Officer for Media and Peacebuilding based in Davao, Philippines, starting from May 1, 2024.
Who we are
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence.
forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany, as well as ten other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy.
forumZFD is recognised by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
Some of the key efforts of forumZFD's team in Davao City are integrating various peace education and education for peace approaches in curricula such as conflict sensitive journalism (CSJ), and supporting the practice of conflict sensitive media with local partners from the academe and media sector. The team also works with grassroots communities in the Davao region to resolve local conflicts through non-violent conflict transformation (NVCT).
Under the overall supervision of the forumZFD Country Director, the successful candidate will be directly accountable to the Davao team Project Manager. As part of the team implementing forumZFD’s overall Conflict Transformation program, s/he will work in direct cooperation and collaboration with and provide support to other team members and partner organizations.
- In collaboration with the Project Manager implement the remaining activities of the current conflict sensitive journalism project, which includes organizing activities that strengthen the organizational capacities of relevant partners, development of a teaching material, and supporting on report writing;
- Along with the team in Davao and program team, support the development of the new project on media and peacebuilding for 2024-2027;
- Lead the implementation of the new project on media and peacebuilding, including the conceptualization, planning, implementation, and monitoring;
- Build on and sustain current and new networks to strengthen the project work;
- Provide written pieces for communications work for the team where needed;
- Organise and facilitate fora, workshops, trainings, and strategic planning sessions with partners and other stakeholders;
- Take active role in implementing the project based on forumZFD planning, monitoring and evaluation processes which include constant reflection and enhancement of projects through regular team discussions, systemic conflict analysis, and monitoring sessions;
- Perform other project-related tasks as may be assigned by the Project Manager; and play an active role in the wider Davao project team, including support to other team activities when needed
- At least 2 years experience in peacebuilding and/or conflict-related work and basic knowledge of conflict transformation approach;
- Experience in journalism and/or communications is strongly preferred, particularly media through a conflict-sensitive lens;
- Excellent research, facilitation, and verbal and written communication skills in English;
- At least a Bachelor's degree in social sciences, journalism, communications, peace and conflict studies, or any other related fields;
- Demonstrated experience in project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to work effectively and inclusively with people from different cultural backgrounds, various hierarchical levels and with different viewpoints;
- Strong personal commitment to nonviolent conflict transformation and participatory, locally-led approaches to peacebuilding and development;
- Willingness to work in an international organization, in a multicultural working team with regular travels outside of Davao City, and to work flexible working hours;
- Ability to work in a different cultural and geographic/environmental context;
- High tolerance for ambiguity;
- A dynamic and proactive team player on which colleagues can rely on; and
- Non-Filipino applicants as it is an international position.
Distinct advantages would be
- Experience in working with civil society and academic institutions;
- Knowledge on conflict sensitive journalism;
- Knowledge on organizational development;
- Experience in organizing creative capacity building and advocacy projects;
- A good understanding of the Philippine context, including social and conflict related issues, and knowledge of the local language (Tagalog, Bisaya)
- Open-minded and flexible approach
We offer an attractive position with responsibilities for a minimum of two years in a growing organization. As the position is based on the German Development Aid Workers Act (EhfG), the position is remunerated according to the provisions of this law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, regular coaching and, where appropriate, participation in a language course.
As a project officer working for forumZFD, you will work within the innovative field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding through contributing your ideas and skills.
Start of assignment
Ideally, you are available to start working on May 1, 2024 (preparation courses, followed by at least two years’ work within the project with the option of extension).
Please apply in English online (letter of motivation, CV and contact details of two reference persons) by latest January 24th 2024.
An online assessment center is planned to be scheduled from February 5-7 2024.
Please find further information about our organization and our assignments online at www.forumzfd.de/en
Our work in the Philippines is presented at www.forumzfd.de/en/philippines
This job advertisement as well as further employment postings can be viewed at www.forumzfd.de/en/jobs
We are looking forward to your application!