CfP: „Remember for the Future. The Role of Youth and Adult Education in Working with the Past and Reconciliation“
Scholars, educators and practitioners working in the fields of memory studies, peace and conflict studies, and youth and adult education are invited to propose abstracts for articles to be published within the framework of the annual Bonn conference on adult education (BoCAED) that will take place in December 2011. Through a publication and an international conference the organisers would like to provide a forum for academics and practitioners to exchange on topics concerning recent violent past that are critical in many places in the world.
Many countries are still going through, have gone through and will go through periods of social upheavals which involve a collective confrontation with past painful events. Remembering, repressing, forgetting, forgiving, denying, living together in multicultural and multi-religious societies, sustaining a peaceful future after conflicts are concerns not only of politicians, civil activists and historians but for many ordinary people who hold in their memories their own hurtful experiences or those of their parents, families and/or communities. Scholars and practitioners are invited to submit proposals on themes included but not limited to the following:
- Youth and adult education methods in dealing with the past
- Teaching shared memory and violent past
- Oral history, biographical research and the role of the personal story
- Museums and memorials as educational sites and providers of public education.
- Dealing with the past as a method for peace-building and re-construction of civil society after violent conflicts and war
- Achieving reconciliation through dialogue, collaboration and exchange
Abstracts should not exceed 350 words and include the main focus and arguments of the articles. All abstracts have to be in English.
Abstracts should be sent by June 15, 2011 to Matthias Klingenberg/Vanya Ivanova at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, your affiliation, address, email, and phone number.
In partnership with: